Is It Possible To Get Pregnant While On Your Period?
Women are normally of view that periods is the safest time, and that you cannot conceive during this period as it is a time for an unfertilized eggs to shed with every menstrual cycle, if they don’t come in contact with sperm. But this is not true, a woman can still get pregnant even while having her periods. It is because of the following reasons:
- If a women have normal 28- to 32-day cycles, and if this cycle has an average two- to eight-day period, she will not get pregnant during her period.
- If woman has shorter cycle say less than 28 days, there are an increased chance of getting pregnant from having sex during your period.
- The duration of your menstrual cycle decides if you can get pregnant or not. If you’d have to have a very short menstrual cycle for example, every 21 to 24 days, this means, you could ovulate right after your period ends. If you have intercourse while your period is still going on, it’s possible that live sperm will live inside you for2, 3 and up to 5 days, when you ovulate, ready to fertilize the egg. Since sperm can survive in your reproductive tract for up to five days, it’s possible to get pregnant.
- Sometimes women mistake spotting in between the periods to regular menstrual cycle. and if it were spotting around the time of ovulation and had sex at that time, you could conceive
- Some women have irregular periods, they may not know they have the potential for getting pregnant, in fact they have higher possibilities of becoming pregnant easily as they have no idea about their ovulation date. It implies that while having periods, they may become pregnant believing that it was their regular or safe period
- When a woman is in the early and late years of menstruation, menstruation cycle differs very month. if she has unprotected sex during her period, there are chances of her getting pregnant
- Also the chances of getting pregnant for woman is high towards the end of her period, if she has sex during that course, because the man’s sperm can live inside a woman for up to 72 hours after ejaculation.
- If you are taking birth control pills it can save you from unwanted pregnancy, but if you skip you are likely to get pregnant, even if your periods are on.
- So it is very essential for a woman to be very careful about the pro and cons of having sex during periods, she needs to educate herself about the safest methods to prevent unwanted pregnancy.
Observe the following symptoms to confirm your pregnancy
After an unprotected sex during your period and are concerned that you may be pregnant, look out for symptoms like mild lower abdominal cramping, spotting ,breast tenderness, nausea, vomiting, severe fatigue and moodiness. These symptoms can occur as early as two weeks after ovulation.
It’s better to learn as much as you can about your body, because you don’t want to play with the odds. Talk to your gynaecologist and learn about how your reproductive system works, so that you can take precautions.