Impressive Nutritional Benefits Of Barley
Barley is very restrictively used grain, not as popular as other grains like wheat, ragi, jowar and bajra. Packed with high nutrient content barely has impressive health benefits that needs to be experienced by including in everyday diet.
Nutritional value of barley
Barley is undeniably one of the power house of wide range of nutrients which include:-
- low in fat
- low in calories
- high in dietary fiber
- B vitamins
Being highly nutritious this cereal grain should be consumed regularly to experience the numerous health benefits it offers. Barley is available in two forms hulked and pearled. Hulked barley takes little longer time to be cooked than the pearl barley which can be easily cooked. This super grain can be used in any of your food preparations like you can add these cooked grains in your soups, broth, breads or you can also add variety of vegetables while cooking barley it not only tastes awesome ,but also its nutritional value can be increased. Barley is very easy to include in your meals, so take the advantage of health benefits provided by barley.
Here are some the health benefits of consuming barley
- Strengthens bones –barley is a good source of iron, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, calcium, manganese, zinc and contains a selenium all these minerals and nutrients helps in maintaining bone health by providing flexibility and preventing breakage of bones and also contributes in synthesis of connective tissue in cartilage and bone ,thus helps in maintaining bone structure and strength.
- Slows down cancer growth– barley contains selenium a mineral, which is rarely found in only few foods ,selenium helps eliminate cancer causing elements in the body ,decreases tumor growth by boosting production of immune T cells that helps fight production of cancer cells and growth of tumor.
- Reduces inflammation – barley contains very essential nutrient called choline which helps decrease the symptoms of chronic inflammation.
- Good for digestive system- barley is a rich source of both soluble and insoluble fiber which is very important to keep your digestive system in good condition. Consuming barely regularly helps prevent constipation keeps your stomach toxic free which helps reduce the risk of developing colon cancer and hemorrhoids. Include this super rich grain in your diet by adding them into your salads, stews, soups or any food preparations.
- Promotes immune health – barley is an excellent source of minerals iron and copper that helps increase hemoglobin, red blood cells and improves blood volume. All these help prevent illnesses like anemia, helps in proper kidney functioning and growth of body cells. All these qualities in barley help build your immune system, which in turn protects your body from various infections.
- Controls cholesterol levels – barley is low in fat , and high in soluble and insoluble fiber which makes it necessary to include it in everyday meal which is very good to control your cholesterol levels.
- Helps control diabetes – diabetes, if not controlled can be very dangerous that can damage your organs gradually. To control diabetes effectively you need to consume fiber rich foods and barley is high in fiber that contains important vitamins and minerals ,particularly beta glucan a soluble fiber that restricts glucose absorption, therefore consume barley to control type 2 diabetes.
Take home message- Barley is loaded with varied nutritional value and every part of barley plant is valuable. Barley is available in various forms, so include this power packed grain into your regular diet for a healthy and diseases free living.